Which are the best universities for studying Sign and which are the best for the Deaf community to attend? | British Deaf News

Director of DeafLondon, Thomas Lichy has a simple rule for Deaf students choosing a university:

“Universities are inherently problematic for BSL signers, as so much depends on developing networking skills. At the end of the day, go to the one with the largest number of Deaf students. It will have the best developed support network, and for hearing BSL students, the greatest BSL-using population to mingle with. Getting a degree is more important than what type of degree it is.”

There are five British universities where you can study Sign linguistics: Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh), University College London (UCL), the University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN), the University of Wolverhampton and York St John University. The universities of Edinburgh and Leeds also have postgraduate courses for Deaf teacher training.

Learn more: